Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Unemployment Chronicles - Day One

If you've followed me at all, you know that I've been frustrated with my employer for quite some time ... like since the first week I started. I decided to suck it up and stick it out a year so that I could gain the experience, and ultimately I'm glad that I did.

Unfortunately, on Monday I was told by my manager that they "decided it would be my last day." There wasn't a reason given but, as I was told by my manager, "it's a right to hire state and she doesn't need a reason to fire me." Suck it you soulless bitch.

Honestly, I'm not too worried. I know that I am smart and I'm good at what I do. I am viewing this as a chance for new beginnings. I thought that 2012 was going to be a good year and it turned out to be pretty mediocre at best. 2013 is time for me to shine!

I'm so lucky and grateful to have such great friends. I've had several of my friends send me great referrals and I have followed up on all of them. I've already had a really good phone interview and should have a face-to-face interview with the same company next week. I'm hoping that I won't be out of work for more than 30 days. Fingers crossed!

Since I've got some spare time on my hands, I thought I should go ahead and kick off the "Unemployment Chronicles." I'm sure that I'm not the only person who has been screwed over by their employer and found themselves considering stealing toilet paper from a QT to save what little money they have. Maybe I can offer someone a little comfort knowing that they aren't alone in this big, bad world. :) Here we go!

Random thoughts that have crossed my mind in the past 24-hours:

  • Maybe I should just start sucking off the teet of the government and go on welfare ... Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about taking a handout. Damnit.
  • Fuck it. I'm going to cash out my 401k and invest in something. I would make a much better boss than anyone I've ever worked for.  Now, what to invest in???
  • Fuck it. I'm going to cash out my 401k and finally write the book that everyone tells me I should write. Or, maybe I can become a professional blogger.  How much do you think the Bloggess makes??
  • Fuck it. I'm going to cash out my 401k and relocate somewhere. I'm tired of KC anyway. Now, where to go??
  • I wonder how long will it take to eat all of the food in my fridge?? Maybe I'll just eat once per day ... I am trying to lose weight ...
I finally went to bed around midnight, tossed and turned a bit, then:

2:40 am: I'm awoken by a loud "bang" in the front room. I sprung from my bed (to see what was the matter) and found two chubby bulldogs turning my front room into a trash party. I proceeded to clean up the trash without kicking either of their asses and went back to bed.

8:00 am: I wake up and finally feel a bit of panic. I suck it up, feed the hounds and decide that I will hit the gym every morning to help put my day in perspective and settle my mind.

9:30 am: Yoga. It's been almost a friggin year since I've taken yoga and I'm not as flexible as I used to be. Note to self- take more yoga.

10:30 am: Get text from my friend Sean who offers up my first "pity lunch." I take him up on his offer. Yeah for friends with jobs!

2:00 pm: I get home from lunch and feel like I may finally be coming down with the flu. I decide to take a nap. zzzzz

4:30 pm: I wake up. No flu. Phew!

6:00 pm: I complete a test/survey for a potential new employer. I kick ass.

You get the picture. I feel pretty good about unemployment - day one. Let's hope that I can make tomorrow just as productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment