Friday, January 7, 2011

Sacrificing the Spiffy Lamb

The word of the day today at Dictionary.com is 'katzenjammer'.  The definition of this awesome word - "The discomfort and illness experienced as the aftereffects of excessive drinking.  Hangover."  

Who came up with such a kick ass word for such a shitty feeling?  Well, according to said resource, Katzenjammer  stems from American English, a combination of the German Katze , "cat," and jammer , "distress." The word was popularized by the early comic "The Katzenjammer Kids."   I've never seen nor read that comic, but I bet it's a hoot!  Think about it, a bunch of kids sitting around feeling like shit.  Takes me back to high school after we drank one too many Purple Passions...  Ah, the memories...

When this word showed up in my "word of the day" email I found the blog inspiration I'd been looking for.  New Year's Day was nothing but 24-hours of pure katzenjammer for Spiffy.  Not only could I not sit completely upright until after 1pm, I spent the entire day in self-loathing mode. 

Drinking used to be fun. Back in the day when you could tear it up till 3am, wake up wearing the same clothes, reeking of smoke wondering where the fuck you are and who the fuck is laying next to you.  Back then you could recover fairly quickly with nothing but a Sonic cheeseburger, a cig, and a cup of coffee.  You know - the good ole' days!

Those days have long since passed. While its fun drinking the vodka/pink lemonade devil juice combo at the time, it's no fun remembering the ass you made of yourself the next day.  That's why Spiffy has decided to DETOX!

My awesome, beautiful, fit, hot yoga instructor passed along a fruit and veggie only 10-day detox diet and, starting Monday, it's on like Donkey Kong!

Nothing but fruit and veggies for 10 days.  No caffeine, no alcohol, no chemicals, no fun, but plenty of headaches and bitching.  Sounds like a party you wouldn't want to miss, huh?! 

I'm going to try to post a new blog every day so you can all experience the atonement for my sins of excess right along with me.  Hopefully at the end of the detox I'll be a few pounds lighter and free of the carb chains that bind me, leaving more room for my smart-ass attitude!

1 comment:

  1. I get the word of the day at my work email - I saw this as the subject and haven't read it yet. I would have never guessed that is what that means!

    ReplyDelete