Sunday, July 3, 2011

Through the years....

No, I'm not singing along to Kenny Rogers or eating his chicken. Today is my 41st birthday and I'm reminiscing about how I've celebrated my birthday over the years.

Well known fact about Spiffy - I love my birthday.  I've had a party or some sort of celebration for my birthday for as long as I can remember.  This is the one day of the year that I believe is all about me.  And Tom Cruise since it's his birthday, too, but really more about me.

Jump in the Spiffy Time Machine with me and let's take a journey back in time, shall we?  I promise, it will be more excellent than Bill & Ted's adventure.

Our first stop, 1991, the year of my 21st birthday.  I was dating and living with an abusive piece of shit named Louis. He liked to control me and made sure to say whatever he could to keep my ego and self-esteem shattered.  It goes without saying, he had to ruin my 21st birthday.
 
Anyway, we were celebrating and Donovan's bar, which at the time, was the "hot spot" north of the river.  I don't remember all of the details, but I believe some guy bought me a shot which pissed him off so he left me at the bar.  Alone.  On my 21st birthday.  Looking back, what I should have done was hooked up with some random hottie and had some kick ass "wham bam" 21st birthday sex, but I didn't.  I'm sure I moped about how mean he was during my cab ride home.  I left the douche bag soon thereafter, but not soon enough.

Next stop, 2001 for my 31st birthday.  Now that was a fun night! 

I was living in the Union Hill area with my good friend Kris in a really kick-ass apartment.  I was happy, healthy, and loved my life.  My boyfriend who was also my karate instructor had recently broken up with me, so my heart was a little bruised, but nothing I couldn't handle. I had just started dating someone new, Brian.  Poor guy didn't realize he was a rebound, but he quickly found out.  (Sorry Brian, you didn't deserve what I did to you.)

Our apartment was filled with friends. Everyone was drinking and eating and jamming on music piped from my killer boom box in the back yard.  Yes, I had a boom box.  Deal.

I wanted to give everyone a Polaroid party pic to remember the evening, which quickly turned into people taking naked pictures of themselves. Good times.

Now, I don't know about you, but at my parties (or most of the time when there is alcohol involved), I like to make out.  So, I decided that since it was my birthday and I was half-way to shit-faced, I needed to kiss as many people as possible. Anyone who was willing was given the opportunity to make out with yours truly.  Needless to say, that didn't sit well with Brian, so at the end of the night, I broke up with him and humiliated him in front of everyone.  

My ex-boyfriend/friend/karate instructor was also at the party, which made Brian feel even more uncomfortable. The end of the evening was and still is quite blurry, but I believe my lawn turned into a scene from the Karate Kid. A lot of smack talk and maybe some karate chops or 'fist of death' punches. Luckily no one was hurt.  I do remember waking up the next morning with a killer hangover wondering what in the hell happened and laughing my ass off at all of the Polaroid pics laying around.

Our final stop is today, July 3, 2011.  My 41st birthday. Things are so completely different this year. I had no desire to throw a party, or even drink let alone get  drunk. 

Yesterday I went to the Nelson-Atkins Museum to see the Monet Waterlilies exhibit with a few of my girlfriends and then out to dinner.  Ten years really classed up this girl, huh??

Today I had brunch with an old friend today and spent the afternoon making memories with a new friend.  This evening I was invited to a party in G-Town, but I decided I'd rather chill out and relax on my couch.  Apparently 41 is the year I turn lame.  (Note to self...fix that pronto!)

I am a little bummed that I haven't gotten a birthday cake.  I'll be sure to go and buy myself one (or six) of my favorite cupcakes sometime this week. Afterall, everyone deserves to make a wish and blow out a candle for their birthday, right? 

Well, everyone but Tom Cruise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment