Friday, December 5, 2014

Truth be told ...

If I'm anything, I'm honest. Sometimes to a fault. I don't believe in telling people lies to make them feel better or to avoid an uncomfortable situation. Lies NEVER make you feel better and uncomfortable situations pass as quickly as they came along.

I've come to realize that there are two kinds of people in this world: those who would rather lie to you or avoid uncomfortable situations by just ignoring you, and those who can step up and tell it like it is. 

I've got several examples, but let me start with one that is so outrageous, I still can't wrap my mind around it. I dated a guy a couple of years ago and if you'll recall, I wrote about the number he did on my head and my heart. Well, over the years I've let go of the hurt and anger I felt toward him and tried to remember that he's a human being who just handles things (much) differently than I would. 

Every once in a while I'll get a Facebook message from him wanting to apologize and weasel his way back into my life. Up until recently, I've kept him blocked (literally) and thwarted his efforts.  

In July, when my Baby Z passed away (my dog ... not my actual baby), he apparently FB stalked me and saw my post because he reached out and sent his condolences. I accepted and we started talking. I shook the ice off my shoulders and gave him a chance to be my friend again over the next couple of months, but, once again, he proved that he just can't be honest about anything. His M.O. was always to make plans then just leave me hanging with no apology or explanation. The straw that broke the Spiffy's back was when he asked me to go out on a Friday, then never followed up. He just let me sit around and wait to find out we were doing and then blew me off. 

Guys (and girls) let me tell you; there's a better way to handle a situation like this. Just tell the person that you changed your mind or that something came up. Or, better yet, don't ask them out if you don't plan on following through. It's pretty simple. There wouldn't have been an argument or any hard feelings if he'd said he changed his mind and been honest about his intentions, but instead, he treated me like my time and my feelings meant nothing. Fuck off for good. Douche.

I'll also never understand why someone chooses to not respond to a direct question - literally never respond - vs. just telling the truth. For example, I was texting back and forth with a friend of mine, and about the 3rd or 4th text I decided to ask him if he wanted to go to a concert with me. I have an extra ticket and was looking for someone cool to go with me. No strings, just two adults enjoying some kick ass music. If we happened to have ended up horizontal sometime in the evening, well, so be it... ;) 

Instead of telling me no, he wasn't interested, he literally said nothing. No response. At. All. Is it that hard to tell a girl no, guys? It's a small word. It's not necessarily a hurtful word; it's an honest word. In fact, it's much more hurtful to just ignore a person completely. Be human. 

That goes for girlfriends, too. Don't be a dick and not respond when a friend reaches out to you. I don't care how busy you are or how tired you are or blah, blah, blah. Be a friend. Keep in touch. Text message or call or send a carrier pigeon. Whatever. 

Sorry, I'm feeling a little salty today. Someone flipped on the bitch switch, huh?? Like I said ... honest to a fault. 

Alright, that's enough of that. I'll leave on a positive note and ask for all of your positive thoughts - I've decided to buy a house! I've gotten my pre-approval and I'm going to start looking next week. I'm pretty excited about it, but I'm keeping a level head and open mind. I'm not going to get my heart hurt if I can't find what I'm looking for, but I REALLY hope I do!  I'll write more about this adventure next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment