Friday, February 15, 2013

The Unemployment Chronicles - Membership has its Priviledges ...

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of being on unemployment, they apparently now require everyone to check-in in-person every four weeks. I completed my first check-in today and I have to say, I feel like I need a shower after that trip.

I went to a satellite office up by the airport, so it was a little less disgusting than I'm sure it would be a their main office, but no less humiliating.

You're required to complete a profile online and answer twelve "basic assessment" questions, I guess to make sure you're not a complete, unemployable dullard. Apparently I aced the math and missed one of the reading questions - seriously? It didn't really matter, but being the over achiever that I am, I almost asked her to re-take the assessment. Almost.

There was a guy ahead of me there for his check-in. He had to bring along his girlfriend to use the computer because he didn't know how to use a computer. I'm pretty sure she really didn't know how to use a computer, either, but her struggle was much less than his.

He stunk like cigarettes and bon fire and left his smell on the seat so that I could sit in it as I met with the nice lady running the office. She and I had a  laugh over how much he stunk and how dirty and nasty he was. She mentioned that his hands were covered in dirt and soot and that she "didn't know how that woman let him touch her." She said, "I'd tell him 'go wash your fuckin' hands'! Oh, Lord, forgive me!" Yes, she dropped the "F" bomb on my 4-week check in. We are now besties.

So, I'm officially a card carrying member of the Missouri Career Center Full Employment Council. Yes, they give you a card and call you a member. I'm framing this bitch when this is over, mark my words!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment